>

Missing Air Crew Project Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Missing Air Crew Project Forum » Pat's Missing Air Crew Project Blog » Melvin Bradtley Yap Mission Memories

Author Topic: Melvin Bradtley Yap Mission Memories
Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Patrick Ranfranz   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Ranfranz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the period of late June 1944 and Late July 1944 I was a fighter pilot attached to Fighting One, aboard Yorktown CV-10. It was about mid July and I was assigned to Commander Jim Peters CAG One. I was CAG's wingman and we were attacking the harbor facilities on YAP. I was the second plane down, diving through a break in the clouds. As I approached the cloud level in my dive, it appeared as if the Japs were fusing their AAA to explode in the cloud hole.

I proceeded and I almost expected to get hit and I did.

An exploding shell hit my aircraft (Hellcat) in the right wing at the landing gear attachment. After the hit, I aborted the attack and pulled too many Gs to level out. I bent the right wing upward 15-20 degrees. The shell also penetrated the engine cowling and had knocked out a few cylinders. ( The Hellcat had a 2800 CID 18 cyl. engine).

I rejoined the flight leader and another pilot examined the damage by flying under my plane. His report was that the wheel fairing was gone and the Right landing gear was hanging lower than the left gear.

I was able to limp back to my ship and after I exited the aircraft, it was pushed off the stern.

I joined Fighting Squadron One in late June 1944 as a replacement pilot. Yorktown and air group returned to the US in August and I was transferred to CAG 14 where I stayed until after the war ended.

Our air group suffered many losses but I don't have an accounting at hand. I'll check around and send you what I find.

I felt the losses more in the bunk room than any other place. When a certain bunk was not occupied, it aroused more emotions than when he failed to return.

[ September 26, 2013, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Ranfranz ]

Posts: 706 | From: Cameron, Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2004  |  Logged: 173.248.29.95
Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Ranfranz   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Ranfranz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More from Melvin: I joined Fighting Squadron One in late June 1944 as a replacement pilot. Yorktown and air group returned to the US in August and I was transferred to CAG 14 where I stayed until after the war ended.

Our air group suffered many losses but I don't have an accounting at hand. I'll check around and send you what I find.

I felt the losses more in the bunk room than any other place. When a certain bunk was not occupied, it aroused more emotions than when he failed to return.

Posts: 706 | From: Cameron, Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2004  |  Logged: 173.248.29.95
Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Ranfranz   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Ranfranz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More from Melvin: I joined Fighting Squadron One in late June 1944 as a replacement pilot. Yorktown and air group returned to the US in August and I was transferred to CAG 14 where I stayed until after the war ended.

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Patrick Ranfranz
Administrator
Member # 1

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Missing Air Crew Project Forum

® Copyright, MissingAirCrew.com®, All rights reserved.